Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Arrival Day 1

Coming down to the Bahamas for this year's lionfish field season with Mark Hixon's graduate students from Oregon State was pretty smooth and effortless.  No fuss or problems to speak of other than a complete lack of sleep throughout for me.  Upon arrival to Nassau, Tye and I were greeted by a fancy new domestic terminal (which was not there a year ago) and got onto our puddle jumper to Eleuthera.  As I listened to the airport staff and flight attendant speak, it finally hit me that I was in the Bahamas.  I would say that in comparison to a Jamaican accent, it is similar but more proper sounding English (which sounds cool to me).   Flying in was beautiful with all the shallow reefs and sandy stretches.  Landing in Rock Sound, I felt like I was back in Moorea because of the climate but not so much the topography which is completely flat in comparison to Moorea's steep mountainous terrain.  The drive to the research station along with the humidity reminded me of my drive around Moorea to get to Gump Research Station.  When we arrived at the Cape Eleuthera Institute, it was very obvious I was not in Moorea.  The facilities here are quite a step above.  There is of course the room I am staying in, which is a fantastic room with a great view of the beach and ocean (pictured here).  I feel like I am staying in a hotel, which is leaps and bounds above my Moorea experience.  Apparently in the past, sickness spreads really quickly in the dorms here at CEI so I'm happy with living the high life at the Hallig House courtesy of Mark.  Dinner was nice with some bbq chicken and assorted veggies.  I think I will be happy coming home to these meals after long days of work.  Tomorrow I am getting up to go do some sight recon with Tye to check out how past experimental plots are faring.  I should really stop writing and go to sleep, especially considering the coming jetlag.  Until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment