Friday, June 13, 2014

My First Fish Survey Day 18

Today was my second day working with Lillian out on the patches.  Before we headed out, Lillian needed to figure out which sites she wanted to visit for the day so instead, I went with Stephanie to work on the lionfish prey response experiment.  We sat down with the head of the lionfish research program here at MSI to discuss logistics related to the project.  Stephanie during the meeting mentioned me as the head of this project after she leaves which I was very happy to hear.  This will give me a great opportunity to execute an awesome study and potentially have some sort of authorship on the resulting publication.  I am very excited to see how this study progressed over the course of the summer.  Once Lillian was ready to go, I went with her to go out to the patches while Stephanie stayed behind to set up a trial for our experiment. 

The weather could not have been more different from yesterday.  We made our way out under sunny skies and a light breeze.  Once we got out there, we discussed what I would be doing for the day.  I was surprised to find out that I was going right into doing fish surveys with Lillian as the second observer.  We discussed the general plan of how we would survey the reef and got right to it.  Once we got in, I was blown away by the patch reef.  It was teeming with fish and I must admit that it was completely overwhelming for me.  I identified and sized as many fish as I could and then stopped after I realized I was causing Lillian to wait for me.  When we came up, I was happy to hear that many of my fish length estimates matched up well with Lillian’s.  It was clear however that I had a lot of work to do in order to improve my speed and observational skills.  I will certainly never forget that reef.

As we did more survey’s, I began to get the hang of what I needed to do in order to effectively estimate the number of fish and their sizes on these patch reefs.  By the end of the day, I felt much more confident.  My last reef we did was pleasant despite its size.  We saw a cute little nurse shark hiding in the middle of this cave in the reef.  Since I was in reef fish counting mode, I totally forgot to take a picture of it when I had the chance.  After we finished up, we went back to CEI, had dinner, and did our logs.  When we finished, Stephanie, Alex, and I headed over to the tanks to check up on our lionfish prey experiment.  We noticed that the night vision feature of the security camera system CEI researchers had setup for the trial were not nearly good enough to visualize the prey and the lionfish at night.  This is actually ok because we will not be doing trials at night but rather at dawn, during the day, and dusk when they are most actively hunting.  Regardless, we are thinking about using GoPro cameras for the whole project because they have a much greater field of view and produce much higher quality of video. 


Once we finished up, I turned on the Kings game to watch with Stephanie and Lillian.  We all had our dark and stormy adult beverages to drink and enjoyed some intense Stanley Cup hockey.  Both Stephanie and Lillian were not able to hang around for the whole game since it did go to double overtime.  Eventually, the Kings won the cup and it was awesome to see it end in overtime in Los Angeles.  It was an amazing celebration for an amazing playoff run by the Kings.  Wish I could have been there to see it.  Being here in the Bahamas doing what I love though is not a bad alternative.  It is super late now so I best get to bed.  Until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment